Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What Next??

In my senior year of high school I decided to go to college, mainly because I wanted to get out of the house with my mother.  I only began applying to school mid way through my senior year so I had no true direction as to what I wanted to become and what impace I wanted to make.  I enrolled in Fort Valley State Universtiy as a business major because that's where the money was said to be- in the business field.  I entered college as naive as a young girl could be, in a good sense though.  I has lead somewhat of a sheltered existence as me and my friends weren't allowed to do a lot of things and definitely not without our parents.  My mother is a Jehovah's Witness so this should alert most as to how sheltered a life a lead with a few exceptions.  I being an only child entered my dorm room to find a roommate.  This in itself would be an interesting situation- having to share.  I went to FVSU not knowing anyone there but one guy who was a senior and had his own life to live.  I quickly made friends.  My roommate had a sister that attended FVSU so she and I did not hang out, we only saw each other in passing.  I had this new found freedom, what to do with it??? Well,  let's say I went to all my classes and I went to the clubs and all the student center parties, and a few off campus parties and plenty road trips.  I partied Thurs- Sat, only stopping to eat and sleep.  My sophmore year I joined the Blue Machine Marching Band which added to my already extensive list of drinking and partying.  I remained in the band for two years and decided to let it go after the second year for a number of reasons.

Well I woke up one day and decided that I was not doing well in school and it was time to get back on track, academically before I loose my financial aid or be placed on academic probation.  I think my GPA was a 2.03.  I did just enough to get by (my usual). I decided in my second junior year (as I call it) that I wanted to graduate and graduate with good grades.  I changed my major as I had entered a business major which wasn't working out so I took courses in Education, Social Work and Psychology to see which I enjoyed the most.  I didn't really like children so that kind of kicked me out from being a teacher which left social work and psychology.  I ended up graduating with a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work one quarter off track and with a 2.97 GPA.  I was angry at myself when I realized how much time I'd wasted drinking, playing, partying, etc....  I went home after graduation considering moving back home.  I went out and my mother stated, "No staying out all night, no spending the night anywhere, no one staying the night over here and....."  I don't remember the rest that was said because I was stuck with no staying out all night.  I remember saying but I'm grown.  She replied, "Not in this house," and that is how I enrolled in graduate school.  I said to myself, "I'll be damn if I'm going to stay here and can't go and come as I please."  I was now enrolled in graduate school, ain't life funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment