Wednesday, February 23, 2011

People

I have been working in the social services area, specifically mental health for the past 16 or 17 years and I have yet to understand people.  Especially the ones that classify themselves as "normal."  I have seen a lot of normalcy as well as a lot of dysfunction.  I am sensitive to individual's needs or at least I would like to think so.  As a therapist, we are taught to empathize and not sympathize but people in general makes it difficult to empathize (this day and time).  People want what they want when they want it and expect you to succumb to their wishes.  I don't mind helping people but I refuse to be used, refuse to be lied on and refuse to be a part of anyone's pity party.  If you want change, change starts with you and within you.  No one can change things for you.  You, the individual, are in control of your circumstances.  Your circumstances, most times, are because of the decisions that you make.  I try to be fair in all my dealings with everyone, even those who have wronged me and hurt me. 

How can we help those who don't want to help themselves?  My answer is: YOU CAN'T!!!  People have put me in a place that I prefer not to be (to myself) because I am a people person.  I enjoy being around people, I enjoy conversing, I enjoy helping others but a few rotten apples have spoiled it for the whole bunch.  I now tell others- Seek help elsewhere because the therapist in me has left the building.  I'm sure that if someone truly needs my help and/or they are genuine, I'll be helping again but until then..........

No comments:

Post a Comment