Monday, February 21, 2011

SO MUCH HAS CHANGED

Stable job, stable man, a daughter and a new baby boy. WOW! Well I got my two children and I'm finished having children now (or so I thought).  April of 2007, what another son!!  I am definitely finished having children now.  I got my tubes tied.  I am a little overwhelmed.  At the time I found out that I was pregnant with my third child, my (future) father-in-law had a series of stokes and was in the hospital.  After the strokes he went into a diabetic coma.  The decision had to be made by his family as to whether or not to leave him on life support or pull the plug (after the insurance ran out).  My maintenance man was truly a daddy's boy so this time was extremely stressful and hard on him as well as on me because I'd never had a significant other that had lost a parent.  What to say?  What to do?  Should I let him be by himself or should I crowd him with affection?  Well I took each day as it came.  I was suffering with my own grief of loosing one of the best men/fathers that I had come into contact with.  Why was God taking such a good man?  I know he's tired but why him?  Well the family end up deciding to pull the plug.  Excuse me, my maintenance man and one of his older sisters reminded the family that their dad would not want to live plugged up to all sorts of machines.  The family ended up blaming my maintenance man and his siter for "killing" their father as well as the mom blamed them as well.  Needless to say, we made it through.

Well in addition to everything else, I had quit my job in September (on principalities) and went to work for another company but they only had work to take me through to the end of the year.  I was not informed of this when they hired me.  Stressed, what am I to do with a baby on the way and no job.  Three children and no job.  I am freaking out.  Yes, I have a man but these children are MY responsibility.  At least that's how my mind works.  I am INDEPENDENT and I don't want anybody paying my bills.  Well, this had to change because I no longer have a job.  I was truly depressed.  I sat on the sofa and crocheted like an old woman in a nursing home.  I had to depend on someone else.  Those who know understand that this is TRULY hard for me.  I had to give up my control and depend on someone else.  I had my son the 18th of April.  I immediately started job hunting when the doctor released me.  I was not successful with securing a job.  I began to get depressed again.  I went outside of my element and applied for a job as a GED instructor.  I GOT THE JOB but what to do with it was the question, as I was not a teacher.  Well, I got the hang of it, eventually, and began to love it.  I stayed employed as a GED instructor until it conflicted with a full-time job that I eventually took.  The GED instructor was only part-time so I needed something else to supplement my income.  What to do.  Well I enrolled in a PhD program online.  I might as well go to school since I can't find a job.  About two weeks into school, I was offered a job at J.C. Penney as a customer service representative (fancy title for cashier).  I was in the hole working at J.C. Penney but it allowed me to get out the house.  I took the teacher's certification test (Basic Skills) because I was sure that I would enjoy going into the school system full-time since I was enjoying working as a GED Instructor.  Well in August '08 I began working as a Kindergarten/ First Grade teacher at a private school.  It was definitely challenging.  Challenging because I was making only $10 an hour and challenging because there was not a curriculum in place nor the books which the parents ordered through the school.  Another story within itself.  In January '09 I was told that the school could no longer afford to pay me (on a Friday afternoon with no warning). WOW!! What to do now?  I was still working part-time as a GED instructor but my full-time income was cut short with no warning.  We'd just recently moved into a bigger house (more rent).  Whew!!!  Approximately two weeks later, I got a telephone call from an old supervisor (who I no longer cared for), asking me to come work for her.  She stated that she understood that I still had ill feeling toward her but wanted to know if I would come work with/ for her.  I told her that I would call in two weeks because I was about to get married......  She stated that she would hold the position for two weeks and call her back once I got back to town.  I did inquire as to how much the position paid.  She told me.  I wrestled with the idea of needing a job vs. not liking her.  Needing a job won.  I was employed with her for seven months before she had her supervisor to fire me (pretty much because I would not be her friend again).  I was pissed off but I was able to draw unemployment so it wasn't all bad.

I more or less stayed unemployed for over a year before going to work running a homeless shelter/ independent living facility.  This is where I currently work and am happy.  The pay is not great but I enjoy what I do and have peace of mind.  Two out of three ain't bad.  Did I mention all of these transitions and aggravations while enrolled in a PhD program with a 3.7 GPA.  I am currently in my dissertation phase of my PhD program.  This is more stress (feels like) that I have endured throughout the whole PhD program.  The waiting is driving me insane.  I am working on someone else timeline and there's nothing that I can do about it.  I finally got my mentor to approve my research question and methodology.  I am waiting for the responses from my committee before I can move forward with writing my chapters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment