Friday, April 22, 2016

Borrowed Time



There are instances where God puts people in our lives on borrowed time.  Within the time frame we are given with these people, we are there to make an impact whether it is a positive impact or a negative impact.  We must remember we are here to serve a purpose, a God-given purpose, and that we will NOT be able to save everyone who comes across our paths.  When we are unable to help these individuals, we can’t view this as a failure but simply view it as a person that you were not intended to “save.”  That person will be affected by you and may even reflect on words of wisdom which you have given them.  They will remember the lessons they learned from you, directly and indirectly.  For ever one that you don’t save there is another standing by, watching and listening to the words you speak.  These individuals may never utter a word to you but best believe that you have affected them.  

There are days when I sit and wonder where I failed as a parent with my own daughter.  Then there are other days that I know that I didn’t fail but she just simply decided to design her own path.  We must remember that we were once young and regardless of the words of wisdom which our mothers, grandmothers, aunts, teachers, etc… told us and instilled in us- we still designed our own path.  There are days when I wonder what happened with some of the individuals I counseled with, in the past and every now and then I get a phone call, text message, or an inbox that says “Thank You.”  I provide real life situations and tough love but I’m always just a phone call away for those who need help.  

For all of us in the helping field, this is our passion, whether we want it to be or not.  The other day I listened as my sister/friend provided her probationers with tough love.  She told them that they were coming in with that payment but she also sat down and gave them real life scenarios which ensured that this was not the worst thing in their lives and that they could bounce back from it.  We do what we do because we care, not for show.  We are transparent with the people we serve because that is who we are.  We work with the less fortunate because we have been there.  Regardless of how much money we make and will make in the future, our roles are “service to mankind.”  Doc Dee

1 comment: